Smart Technology To Save Money on Your Utility Bill
December 5, 2019
Smart technology is starting to become a norm in households today. Homeowners are implementing all kinds of smart technology to help save money on heating and cooling. However, many are overlooking the smart technology that is available for lowering water usage. Thankfully, there are several in-home technology products that will save you money on your water bills and help the environment at the same time!
The average U.S. household uses about 90 gallons of water every day and a lot of this water is wasted. Showers and toilet flushing are the two biggest culprits when it comes to wasting water with dishwashers, washing machines and outdoor watering right behind them.
Here are some everyday activities and their water usage:
- Taking a shower for 10 minutes with a regular shower head uses 50 gallons of water.
- Taking a shower for 10 minutes with a water saving shower head uses 20 gallons of water.
- Flushing an old toilet will use up to 3 gallons of water.
- Flushing the toilet with a low flow, flushing toilet uses 1.6 gallons of water.
- Using a regular dishwasher uses 16 gallons of water.
- Using an EnergyStar rated dishwasher uses 6 gallons of water.
- Taking a standard bath uses 36 gallons of water.
- Outdoor watering for 30 minutes uses 60 gallons.
Other than cutting down on water consumption by taking shorter showers and doing fewer loads of laundry, here are a couple of things you can add to your home to help reduce your water usage:
- Energy-efficient washers: Typically, an ENERGY STAR washing machine uses 25 percent less electricity than its non-eco-friendly counterparts do, and close to 50 percent less water! You’ll save even more money by washing your clothes in cold water.
- High-efficiency faucet aerator: Cut your water consumption in half by installing a high-efficiency aerators on your faucets.
- Smart toilets: Can help you save water, as well as eliminate toilet paper waste. The EPA states that toilets labeled with WaterSense labels can reduce water usage by 20-60% and save around 13,000 gallons of water per year.
When it comes to the latest plumbing trends and the up-and-coming use of smart technology, more and more plumbers are being asked to install more efficient and advanced systems. Whether you’re looking to upgrade your systems with new technologies or simply looking for a better, more eco-friendly way to use resources, Eastern Plumbing can help you make the transition. Our team is experienced and ready to help so, give us a call today!