Everyone wants to conserve water! After all, it’s good for the environment and good for your wallet, because it lowers your water bill. While many of us like the idea of conserving water we often don’t want to make any major lifestyle changes. The good news is that even a few small, easy changes can add up to hundreds of gallons in water saving each year! Here are 10 simple ways to conserve water!
- Only run your dishwasher and washing machine when they are full.
- When handwashing dishes, fill up the sink with water instead of letting it run the whole time that you are scrubbing.
- Water plants with a watering can instead of a hose.
- Water outdoor plants early or late in the day to reduce evaporation.
- Don’t use your toilet as a trash can. Not only is it bad for your pipes, but every time you flush it uses 1-3 gallons of water.
- Take your car to a car wash that recycles water.
- Look for and fix any leaks in your plumbing. Just one drop a second can add up to 5 gallons of water wasted a day!
- Shorten your showers. You can save about 2 gallons of water for each minute you knock off your shower time.
- Turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth, scrubbing your hands and shaving.
- Use a broom, not a water hose, to clean walkways and driveways.
BONUS: To maximize your water conservation, and lower your monthly bill, consider installing a low-flow shower head and efficient toilet that uses less than 1.6 gallons per flush.
For assistance with all of your plumbing needs, contact Eastern Plumbing!